Friday 6 December 2013

Educational YouTubers

Been meaning to write this for a long time.

But now my hand has been forced… during a recent talk I mentioned some of the best educational YouTube channels - and promised the audience I'd post the links online.

INTRODUCTION

Having several of my own YouTube channels (see the list here) means I spend too much time talking about my own videos!

Of course there are many others who do it better (and rightly enjoy more success).

Here I hope to have a list to show people who ask: "What are the best educational channels?"

DISCLAIMER

The list mainly features people I know - it feels easier recommending channels when you've met the people (and it means I can add something personal).

There are many great channels not on the list - and I'm sure I'll add more as I get around to meeting them!


ViHart, Hank Green, Henry Reich, Angela, Mike Rugnetta, Me, John Green

1. VSAUCE
CHANNEL



I'll start with Michael's channel because it's the biggest and I've known him the longest.

At the Royal Institution
There's no point saying much - everyone seems to watch Vsauce.

Michael is a great guy. He's just like his on-screen persona - knowledgeable, curious and super passionate.

He's also generous with his success and helps other channels raise their profiles (including mine - here's a video he made with periodicvideos in 2012).

Of course Michael is also the grandfather of Vsauce2 and Vsauce3.

Michael's favourite number is 17.


2. MINUTE PHYSICS
CHANNEL



Henry's videos are super successful with good reason - seemingly simple drawings but with a professional touch and some very clever animations.

The spin-off Minute Earth is also great.

Henry has also been a real catalyst within the "YouTube EDU" educational community and I don't think we'd all know each other if it was not for his passion and "can do" attitude.

Henry is hoping fans will start buying him ice-cream.

3. SMARTER EVERY DAY
CHANNEL



Destin's channel is super smart and full of surprises. His videos are often fun but also filled to the brim with hard-core science.

Introducing Destin & Destin's Bride to
Yo Sushi in Nottingham
They cut no corners down in Alabama.

Destin is also the Jedi of high-speed camerawork (and has been instrumental is helping us in Nottingham dip our toes in the water).

Destin's a good mate, true gentleman and a very generous person.

Here's an interview I did with him a while back discussing his videos, faith and grandfather.

4. CGP Grey
CHANNEL



Grey's videos are obviously brilliant and - like everyone else - I wish there were more of them.

CGP Grey
Grey lives in the UK (where I live) so we often catch up for a drink and chat.

He's always full of interesting perspectives - very wise, witty and a good laugh.

Here's a Numberphile video in which he made a guest appearance.

5. VERITASIUM
CHANNEL



I always find Derek's videos especially interesting because he is someone who has made an academic study of using videos in education.

But don't worry, his videos are not like a dry thesis… They're energetic, innovative and full of detail.

Derek's also quasi-Australian so we have a common bond!

6. VIHART
CHANNEL



Her videos have an eccentric streak but are totally inspired - never to be missed.

Maths, art and music combined in such an original way.

Vi has also been a cool friend helping on my own projects, including Numberphile (which she has hugely supported) and Sixty Symbols (collaborating on our LHC song).

Don't miss this song from Vi's second channel - I love it and not enough people have seen it yet!

7. THE GREEN EMPIRE



Hank and John Green have loads of great channels and projects going on - most notably in education they have Crash Course and SciShow.

I have no idea how they find time to do so much stuff (both on YouTube and beyond).

8. THE SLO MO GUYS
CHANNEL



Educational? Definitely.

Also, I was able to earn massive brownie points with my nephew when I said I was hanging with Gavin and could get his autograph.

9. PBS IDEAS CHANNEL
CHANNEL



Host Mike Rugnetta is a top guy and the videos deal with some weird and wonderful issues.

10. BOY IN A BAND
CHANNEL



Okay, Dave's channel is not really "educational".

But he loves smart videos and has collaborated with us on loads of great projects for periodicvideos (dubstep), numberphile (phi) and sixtysymbols (LHC).

He is also insanely talented and great to hang out with.

THIS LIST IS NOT FINISHED